Friday, August 17, 2007

THE CALIFORNIA CADDMAN

Fresno, California is where The Caddman hangs out, with his lovely wife, his lovely dogs, his lovely cats, a random assortment of fish and cars, and a very nice bike. I spent a couple of nights with that little troop, and it was a happy, friendly, restful and restorative time. Mac and Gwyn have stayed there in the past, and they say the same thing - its a pretty nice place to be. We left there this morning and headed for Los Angeles, where this particular adventure for me and The Bomb together now ends. After many days of serious thought, I have made a tactical decision, based on a combination of issues that really amounted to being concerned about my safety and Cherry Bomb's, given the remoteness of the areas I was thinking of heading into, with no company, no mobile phone coverage to even access emergency services, the relentless heat, general fatigue from the emotional burden of all of those things combined, and suspected electrical problems with the bike.
But I am ecstatically happy with what I've achieved on this ride, the challenges I have faced and overcome and been shaped by, and the friendships I have made which I hope will continue for the rest of my life. It has been a truly fantastic experience, even in the rough patches I hit along the way. Something great and shiny and positive came out of every experience, ESPECIALLY the challenging ones, and I am better and happier for it. I've got to where I needed to get to, in my mind, in my heart, and in geography. The truth is, even if I took two years, or even five, I still wouldn't see everything this fantastic country has to offer, and I've had to make many compromises en route, and not see a lot of what I wanted to, because of the time constraints. I still have a list, and what is on it will wait for next year, when I can come back with company, in a cooler climate, perhaps in the fall, when the colours will be picture-postcard spectacular, hire a Harley, and see some more!
I've had an absolute BLAST!!!!!!!!! Despite some hairy moments, every day has made me smile, I've been showered with gifts, both real and intrinsic, and I wouldn't swap or change this adventure for the world. It has been awesome.
And its not over yet!!! Cherry is safely with a DECENT shipper, and I am in Santa Monica, spending time at the beach and generally enjoying the sunshine for a few days before jumping a plane back to Mac's for a while before coming home at about the same time as originally planned. A number of happy little souls will be riding to Macs for a reunion party on 25th August, from various places around the USA, so we can have a final fling together before they all wave me off, into the sunrise and onto the next adventure.
I just can't tell you all how happy I am. I'm really, really overjoyed at what I've done. Part of me still can't believe I've really done it. Cherry Bomb did me very proud. She's a real little star and I love her to bits, and we make a good team. I kissed her goodbye today, and I told her I'll see her in Dunedin, in a month or so.
Next big ride will be to the Burt Munro Challenge, Invercargill, November this year. Any kiwi blog-watchers willing to join that one?

7 comments:

tofeather said...

Hi Max, all I can say is WOW. You made it. You are one awesome lady.
AND you're coming back to New Hampster! That's great. We saw Mac & Gwynn last saturday @ the
'reggea fest." in Laconia, and Gwynn said you might be coming back. That's fantastic. (Hope we get invited) ha,ha,ha. If you do come back for another "Crossing" ya better lets us know when. And renting a harley? Wow!!!That's probably a good idea. Hmmmmm, wonder if they rent GoldWings???
That would be the way to go. Well, glad you made it through the dessert and the mountains, take care, RELAX, and take lots of pictures. jim & Carol

Maxine Cook said...

ToFeather, you and Carol had BETTER be there!!!!! I will be so offended if you're not. Talk to Mac, and ask him about "that look" I give people when they don't play ball with me. Its not pretty. You don't want that. Be nice - be THERE!!!

Anonymous said...

Well done you're a star, big achievement. Burt Munro rally will be a dodle after this, I hope it's not to far for me.....haha.
Glad your bring the CB back, I had thought it may have been left half way across a dessert or somwhere broken down or worse someone may have liked it more.
We're all waiting here in Kiwi land for your return with offerings of cold Speights and your dads bootleg bourbon and fresh offerings of pressents from the bock bock arks.
For all you yankie explorers, take up the chalange and pop over for a visit and have a tour of NZ.
Kerry.

Anonymous said...

Max,

I finally got to read your entire blog (though not the comments yet) and you have certainly had far more adventures on this trip than we had time to discuss.

Thanks for the nice comments, and please know that I wish we could have had more time. We didn't get to ride anywhere or do any sightseeing at all, but judging by the blog you've had a generous dose of that already.

At least we got a nice meal out and you got to kiss up to our doggies whom (I am certain) will not soon forget the experience. The cats, of course, have already noticed the 33% decrease in staff; but I've studiously ignored their complaints so far.

Best of luck on your return journey, and perhaps we may be able to visit in N.Z. some day. It sounds like a lovely place.

Most Sincerely,
CaddmannQ

RedDog said...

So Cadd, an MC-USA meet in NZ? Wonder if they have a sport bike for rent there? Max mentioned the roads are amazing, one of them: 'Got to go there, ride them!'
And do some fly fishing for trout. Meet the Kiwis and check what they eat and drink. All good, ehe?

Arild

Liz said...

Sorry I haven't posted in a while - I got distracted (you know, like I do). Anyhoo, I want you to know that I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! You have had such an amazing adventure, met heaps of cool people and experienced so much. I'm glad that you have made the most of everything that has been thrown at you. And of course you always knew the most important lesson: people come first and make any experience worthwhile. Go and enjoy the company of your new friends and marvel at your adventures! Can't wait for you to come home.

Eek, just seen the news about the hurricane - take care and be safe (same goes to all your new friends!). Love Liz (who is SO proud of you!)

Maxine Cook said...

Erm... what hurricane? THERE'S A HURRICANE COMING????????????????
Bloody hell! I'd better get my best stiletto heels on and run for me life...!