Tuesday, August 7, 2007

OKLAHOMA!


After leaving Kathy and Red Dog this morning, I made my way west out of Arkansas along Route 412 to Oklahoma City via Springdale (huge, hideous traffic-light zone I thought I'd never get out of) and Tulsa. I arrived in Oklahoma City by 5pm, phoned Denise and waitied for her to come get me, which she did, and she took me out out for dinner to Toby Keith's Bar and Grill, in a huge old converted warehouse in Bricktown, in the downtown area. I was served with the biggest rack of ribs I've ever seen in my life. Afterwards, we went to see the memorial garden dedicated to those affected by the Oklahoma Bombing in 1995, which is something I've wanted to see ever since I heard it had been built. Seeing all the illluminated chairs reflected in the water, one for each of the victims, the statue erected opposite, of Jesus weeping, and the trinkets, messages and photographs hung on the rails outside the garden, left by the grieving friends and relatives of the men, women and children killed in that act of random senselessness, was a very sobering experience that I'll never forget.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy to hear you're there with Denise in Oklahoma City. Great news, you're over 1/2 way done riding through Oklahoma and the heat wave.

I'm sure the 2 of you will have a great time sharing ride stories. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall listening to you two women riders sharing your thousands of miles of riding experiences.

Have fun and can't wait to hear about the next leg of your journey.

Have you changed your mind and going to try that huge 72oz. steak at the Big Texan in Amarillo?
http://www.bigtexan.com/
Love-n-hugs, Kathy

Dave said...

It seems like it's finally turned out that the trip is everything you thought it would be and how you described it to me when you first mentioned it all those months ago, good riding, good places to visit and what seems like the most important thing, friendly people who are determined to make the ride even more enjoyable than it already is.
Keep on enjoying the trip babes.
Dave

Maxine Cook said...

Oh God, Kathy honey, you weren't wrong about the boringness of the Oklahoma stretch!!! >SNORE!< By the time I'd even got to the other side of that heaving monstrosity they call Springdale, having to stop at every single traffic light, I'd almost lost the will to live. Then the ride down the 412 and the 44 in the heat and buffering wind all the way to Ok City pretty much wiped me out. I can't believe how tiring it was. As for the steak? Well, I might be able to manage a 7.2oz with nothing on the side... but they'd just laugh at me if I asked for THAT one for free...