Sunday, August 12, 2007

Full Steam Ahead...




Its fifteen years since I did a roadtrip thru the USA that took me to Silverton, Colorado. At the time, while watching a mock gunfight in the old Main Street, with a black-smoking, cinder-belching, hulking steam locomotive as a backdrop, I promised myself that one day, when I had enough time, I'd come back and take that train ride. Today, I did it, and it was worth the wait. The trip was a fantastic experience, riding that great old train through the breathtaking back-country wilderness of the San Juan Mountains. Its 3.5 hours each way, with a 2-hour stop in historic Silverton...


...once a booming 1800's mining town with no less than 300 saloons and houses of ill-repute just in Main Street alone. Nowadays, the bordellos have given way to hotels, restaurant and gift shops selling all sorts of native Indian crafts and jewellery, t-shirts etc., but most of the original buildings remain.



Sadly, the costumed gun-slinging is a thing of the past now (although I'm told they still do it on special occasions, festivals etc) but its still a really great place to visit. And I managed to get a pair of white leather beaded Indian moccasins, exactly like the ones I'd bought fifteen years ago and loved and wore literally to pieces. And, they were 40% off. And, come hell or high water, I'm going to find a place in the saddlebag or frame pack for them!
But that wasn't all, today...
Sometimes, when you don't expect it, life throws you a snapshot - a vision so fleeting you wonder if its real - that you know will stay crystal clear in your memory forever. For me, today, it was the pure magic of seeing my favourite wild animal on his own turf. As we chugged along, I looked up to the sheer wall of a canyon and there, on a rocky outcrop, was a HUGE grizzly bear. He was massive, shaggy and gorgeous. His stance was aggressive - he sat with his full weight on his widened front legs, mouth wide open, bawling his outrage at the train shattering his peace. I had no more than ten seconds - not enough time to even get the camera ready - to look at him. He was just a couple of hundred feet from the train and he was, without question, the most magnificent, incredible animal I have ever seen. I have absolutely no idea what, if anything, could EVER top that, for me.

2 comments:

Gwyn Johnson said...

wow, Max, like a postcard from God Himself with the brown bear...between that and the Corvette, etc etc - I'm just so tickled for you having the thrills of your heart's deepest desires!

I have to wonder if any of the other train riders were paying such close attention as you and saw the bear...;) So glad you enjoyed the "change in conveyance", as well, to be able to savor the moments that constant riding just doesn't allow.

Bet that gave you a rest like no other, the kind that stacks of satisfaction can bring. ;)

Carry on, lovey, and talk with you soon! Gwyn (and Bill)

Maxine Cook said...

He was a grizzly! I wondered, and I spoke to someone here last night who saw him too, and confirmed it. He was too big for a brown bear. So I've edited the blog entry to give him the status he deserves. Oh, God, he was so gorgeous.