Tuesday, July 17, 2007

IS IT A DOCTOR, OR IS IT A VET?


In this case it was the best possible combo of both, on a day where something great happens, a blessing is randomly bestowed and another dream gets realized, with no warning at all. Purely by chance, on Mac stopping the bike to speak to friends by the roadside, one of whom was Mike, aka Doc, I ended up going for a ride in his 1960 Corvette, an award-winning "Survivor" - i.e. original EVERYTHING, nothing touched from new. Just seeing that car up close took my breath away. The privilege of riding in it brought tears to my eyes. I've always loved Corvettes. They're on the lottery list, up there with the AC Cobras and the AM Vanquishes, but I always thought the closest I'd probably ever get is my treasured die-cast model that I was given many years ago as a parting gift from Steve Mac, an ex-boyfriend who actually broke my land-speed record on an FZR Genesis at 165mph, albeit on the back (hi, sweetie! xx). Steve loved that Corvette model but he knew I loved it more. It, like him, is a piece of the jigsaw puzzle that makes up the picture of my life, and yesterday's ride in the real McCoy fits right in there alongside it. Thank you, Doc, for an extraordinary opportunity I'll never forget. For that brief snapshot in time, out there on the highway, life couldn't have got much better. See you in Idaho, hon.

No comments: