Friday, July 20, 2007

NO BIKE YET

Hello everyone. Apparently my Cherry Bomb only "left the LA terminal yesterday", Wednesday, (i.e. NOT Tuesday, as I was originally told, and NOT Monday as originally promised before that) so she is still closer to the west than she is to the east, and its a very big patch of dirt she is having to get across. There wasn't one single solitary truck driver in the whole of the greater Los Angeles area who wanted any weekend overtime, it seems. Go figure... As yet there's no evidence that the latest promise is any truer than any of the others, and personally I have no faith that she's on her way yet. Men got to the moon faster than this, I really don't understand it, and it is very distressing. I don't know what else to say about it, except that I'm sick to my stomach now, of being lied to and needlessly messed about, and there isn't one person who has been part of the official process to date, who has been properly informed, or straight with me, or even honest. I've met some lovely people here, in fact every single individual I have met so far this trip has been absolutely lovely. Its just a shame that they have to exist in a society that seems, from the perspective of someone who came here with the intention of enjoying it and seeing what it has to offer, to be dragged to its knees and virtually paralyzed its own beaurocracy, red tape and inefficiency. The tax-paying citizens deserve better than this, and so do the visitors. Land of the free? hmmm... Not that I'm going to get all political, even though that's what I'm at the mercy of, here. My impressions so far of the people who have shown me hospitality, generosity and friendship is one hundred percent positive. As far as anything else goes, related to people who simply want my money in exchange for a scale of inefficiency that is pretty hard to stomach in a so-called civilized and progressive society, I think you all know my opinion. All I'm trying to do is see the country! Why does it have to be this difficult?
On a brighter note, huge thanks to Canuck for buying us breakfast and showing us his part of Maine yesterday, and parts of New Hampshire I hadn't already seen. Even in the rain it was all so beautiful! That gunshop was very impressive, Canuck, I could have stayed in there all day, playing with the hardware. There were paper targets of various forms, including some of Osama Bin Laden, deer, and men holding pistols. Pesronally, I thought pictures of shipping agents to shoot at would be good too, although the real thing would be even better. I hope you got home in one piece, big fella, and not too soggy from the rain. Maybe see you at the weekend? Doesn't look like I'm going anywhere in a hurry. Keep in touch, ok?

No comments: